Wednesday, January 04, 2006

English Improvement

Those of you intereseted in improving your English, visit this site. Mahadevaswamy: You can find answer for one of your question posed to me earlier.

Some of the questions answered are:
Q. When spelling out a proper name that is also known by an acronym, is it
acceptable to capitalize more than one letter in a word that contributes
multiple letters to the acronym?

Q. Should it be “The Importance of Well-Written Reports” or “The Importance
of Well-written Reports”?

Q. Would it be a gender-biased usage if you used “man-made element?” What could be the neutral substitute?

Q. Iguaçú (or Iguazú) Falls has two possible correct spellings. How would CMS handle this one?

Q. Do you perceive any difference in meaning in the following two sentences?

Q. When does one use hyphenation to break words?

Q. I work for a travel company and we are trying to figure out the proper way to write “eight-night stay.”

Q. I am doing a research paper for my history class in college and I am supposed to put in the Chicago form of bibliography and citations. Can you help on this?

Q. If I have a sentence that includes a parenthesis (say I’m talking about a 401[k] plan), do I really have to change the (k) to brackets?

Q. I regularly come across sentences in which “only” strikes me as being misplaced. Am I correct? Or only nuts?

Q. At the annual meeting of our local PBK chapter, dispute on the pronunciation of “archival” arose: whether the stress falls on the first or the second syllable.

No comments: